Saturday 19 April 2014

Networking "Friends"

It was recently brought to my attention (by my mum) that it isn't possible for me to have so many "friends". After questioning what she meant it turns out that she believes that the people I meet whilst networking across the UK are not "friends" but acquaintances. 

So I pondered

At first I was a little defensive. Of course these people are my friends. I talk to them regularly, we visit each other and we pass business to each other. Then I got to thinking a little deeper. Was she right?? Was I in fact under the disillusion that these people were in fact my friends? 

Enter my friend of about 15 years. His view is that I have too many people around me. The higher the volume of "friends", the higher the risk of neg heads (I love that phrase) creeping in to the inner circle. Thus, draining my energy and making it harder for me to succeed. He was right. So I removed those people from my circles. New acquaintances, mates, long standing friends from school. GONE. And my life seemed happier over night. 

Back to my mums statement, I started to think about my networking "friends" a little more. Although I still refer to them as friends they now fit in to 4 beautifully titled categories. 

*FRIENDS* - the business contacts who are there for me when things get rough. 24/7. These are the people I'll pick up the phone to at 3am. The "no questions asked" crew.

*MATES* - the ones that are there when things go right then go AWOL when things aren't so great. I'll call these people back when I can. 

*ACQUAINTANCES* - people I've said hi to but not yet formed relationships with. These people will be promoted or relegated in the future.

*KNOB ENDS* - the arseholes you keep close enough just so you can keep an eye on. It's always a good idea to know when you're going to get stabbed in the back. 

So maybe my mum was right. Maybe I don't have as many friends as I thought I did. Don't get me wrong my "inner circle" is packed out with some pretty amazing people. But my networking circles have just become smaller. I like the idea of this. The total number of people is still the same, I've just made lots of little hierarchy type circles now. 

This whole blog has helped me realise who is REALLY important! who should be taking up my time. who I want to help achieve success and who can figure it out on their own. I urge you to do the same. Take time out and pick your way through your friends list on FB, go through the contact list on your phone, block the followers on twitter that make you roll your eyes. Be thorough. Be brutal. I guarantee after the initial shock of "what have I done??" Has worn off, you'll be smiling in a few days. 

You have but one life. Fill it with good things, good people and good thoughts. 

Much Love, until next time.

Miss Make It Happen
X






No comments:

Post a Comment