Monday 15 September 2014

Life Decisions

In business i'm good at making decisions quickly. Snap, Crackle, Pop - it's done. One of my strongest skills is to look at a bad situation and be able fix it. Quickly. Both for myself and other people.

Put me in a personal situation and my brain just doesn't work in the same way. Seriously, you would think I have a twin. One with a super brain and one with fluff for brains. I very much use my male brain for business and my female brain for personal decisions.

My mum, bless her, was once quoted saying to me "Dionne, you spend all day being a business woman and then you turn in to an idiot of an evening". Truth is, I spend all day making decision for myself and other people that I like releasing my inner child of an evening. If I dont, I start to get stressed, angry and thats when I start making the wrong decisions during the day. I'm sure my clients are happy that I fell out of a tree a couple of months ago... at least the decisions I make for them are safe and sound. 

So why can't I make personal life decisions the way I make business ones? Because i'm human. I have a heart as well as a brain. Some people will tell you its possible my heart is made of stone/ice, i'm not bothered by it. Business, I can afford to be cold and even cruel and clinical when making the decisions. When its about my personal life the heart gets involved. The internal battle between brain and heart kicks in and I start getting stressed, my eyes start to leak, I become moody. Summed up, I turn in to a woman.

Example -

I once decided that I wasn't getting enough out of a contract for the work I was putting in. So after a few emails of them telling me there is nothing they can do, I rocked up to their office (albeit with chocolates and wine) and said "it's over". I'd been working with this client for just over 10 years. it was a £150K a year contract. Snap, Crackle, Pop - Done. It's "Business".

Go out for a coffee with someone, find out he has a girlfriend, feel awkward about the conversation you've just been having, lose sleep over the decision of deleting him off of Facebook!!

In both examples, I was going to upset someone. In both examples i would lose something out of the situation. One was a quick and painless because only the brain was involved. The other.... well we al know what happens when we let the heart loose on a situation.

Until Next Time...

Miss Make It Happen
Twitter
Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment