Tuesday 10 November 2015

Do You Remember?

I’m “only” 31 years old so I can only go back so far but do you remember in the 80s and 90s when every shop, high street, pub and train station sold poppy's? 

November would rock around and you’d start to see the little boxes appear next to the shop tills, and The British Legion and Scouts would be out in force selling poppy’s on every high street and high foot traffic area. 

Fast forward 20 odd years and I’ve spent the last 2 weeks unsuccessfully looking for a poppy. Not one shop, station, pub i’ve been in has sold them! I had to spend Remembrance Sunday without my poppy. Thankfully, I found a scarf with poppy’s on so I did try to do my bit. A number of my friends have had similar problems so i know i’m not alone. 

I’ve been thinking about why this might be and have come up with various reasons for why poppy’s seem to have become an endangered species but I just can’t put my finger on the real reason. Has anyone else had similar problems? Do you know why I can’t find a poppy?

1 - We just don’t care any more
2 - my geographical location
3 - we’re scared of offending some one
4 - we’re forgotten why we buy those little pieces of red paper stuck to green and black plastic.

i’d hope that it wasn’t number 1 and 4 but I have a sneaky suspicion it might have some thing to do with number 2 and 3.

 I’m on my way to have lunch with a Veteran and I’m actually quite embarrassed that i’m turning up without my poppy. I know he’ll understand but its not the point. Maybe Euston station or the surrounding shops can be my saving grace? keep your fingers crossed for me.

Please let me know how easy / hard you’ve found getting your hands on a poppy. i’m quite interested to know.

*UPDATE* I managed to buy a paper and metal poppy from London Liverpool Street Station before my meeting. Winning

Until next time
Much love

Miss Make It Happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment