Wednesday 4 November 2015

Self Employment, Holidays and body image. *panic panic panic*

I've been on holiday recently, my family got together to see my cousin (pictured below) get married. It was fab.

Whilst I was away I pretty much stepped away from work totally and spent some time concentrating on me. It's been about 14 years since i've been able to switch off properly. At first It was horrible. I kept eyeing my phone suspiciously, wondering what was going on back home.

After a couple of days I realised that if the world was coming to an end someone would pick up the phone and call me. I didn't need to worry about emails or social media, they would all be there when I got back.

As I started to relax, I realised that I looked at myself in the mirror more. Strange I know but its true. At first, It was glimpses of myself in a bikini. I didn't want to spend too much time looking, I am most definitely not beach body ready. The more i stepped away from work stresses and social media the more i stopped to look at myself. After a few days I was standing in front of the mirror having a good old nose. My views at first were critical of myself - big thighs, chubby belly, dark circles under eyes etc etc etc. Towards the end of the end of the holiday I was shocked to realise that I was now looking at myself through different eyes. Instead of focussing on my chubby belly, I saw a curvy hourglass waist. Instead of big thighs, I saw a curvy butt. And the subtle tan I now had was making me look healthier and less tired.

This got me thinking, do work stresses and social media really have an impact on the way we see ourselves? Do we judge ourselves more when we carry a weight on our shoulders? It's quite possibly true.

I've decided that as with immediate effect that i'll be taking a day off, at least, every week. no work, no emails, no social media and if i can blag it, no contact with people. 24 hours to learn to love myself, to read that book that's been on the shelf for the last 3 years, to eat what I want, take a nap and just be me. Do you dare to do the same?

Until Next Time
Look after yourselves
Much Love
Miss Make It Happen

Facebook
Twitter


No comments:

Post a Comment