Monday 29 February 2016

I don't know where you get it from!

I was out for an afternoon walk with my mum recently and I was telling her about my plans for the year.

Those plans, as you may have read in my newsletter, involve climbing Mount Snowdon in July and then doing my second Tough Mudder later on in the year. We spent the next 20 minutes or so discussing snowdon, and what we thought it'd be like. Then we moved on to Tough Mudder. I got really excited thinking / talking about what this years event had in store.

At this point in the conversation, my mum said "I don't know where you get it from, me and your father wouldn't dream of doing something like that."

This got me thinking. She was right. Out of everyone in my family, I'm the only one who purposely goes out to do stupid sh*t. I started to think about my WHY?

- I like doing stupid sh*t, it makes me feel alive
- I like to find and smash my own physical and mental limits
- One day, my auto immune disease will win, and i'll not be able to physically do stupid sh*t

As i'm writing this blog, I have an injection warming up on the table so I can inject a medication that will help slow the destruction going on in my body. This medication will never be good enough to completely cure me. it'll never completely stop the pain and it will probably do more harm than good, in the long run, if I believe the recent medical reports. But right now, it's all i've got and I'm bloody thankful for it. Not only does my treatment/care cost the NHS 4 figure sums on a monthly basis, it's painful to inject and it's a pain in he butt on a logistics level. That little vile of clear, cold fluid allows me live a little more comfortably, reduces pain and gives me hope that my mum will be able to carry on saying "I don't know where you get it from" for a few more years.

99% of the time, this whole situation doesn't bother me at all. I'm not one to worry about things i cannot change. But occasionally, it scares the crap out of me. That's ok too, because it's just another mental challenge that I get to conquer.

Do something "stupid" this year. Something that challenges you both physically and mentally. It'll make you or break you. Either way you'll know if to push for harder limits or be able to smash your limits next time.

Let me know what you decide to do.

Much love
Dee
Miss Make It Happen

Please stay in touch
Website - Podcast - Twitter - Facebook




2 comments:

  1. Great Blog Dee, miss you it's been ages, glad to hear your doing well.
    Take care, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, Thank for reading the blog :) It has been a long time! Hopefully i can get to a 4N meeting soon. Dee

      Delete