Monday 15 February 2016

Commercial Sheep & Valentines Day


My last proper relationship was for 6 years.  During that time we didn't really buy in to all the hearts and flowers of Valentines Day.  We'd usually get each other a card but thats about it. It wasn't a big deal and we didn't waste money because society and the commercial giants demand it.

I've been single, 4 years next month. (Wow time really does fly when you're having fun!) and I've realised that as a single person I spend more time, energy and money on celebrating Valentines Day. how weird is that?

A day that was designed and aimed at couples has created a sub culture for the singletons.  When I was in a relationship I wouldn't have been thinking about ValDay but this year, it's taken 3 of us, several conversations to plan a whole day dedicated to being single.

Seriously, it all feels a little bit weird if you ask me. I'm off to spend the day wandering around London, getting involved with Chinese New Year parade, other random London related stuff and then off to our favourite Chinese for a romantic, or not so much, dinner for 3.

Now, I like spending time with my friends, I just kind of wish we'd do it another day. One of the other 360 odd days this year that doesn't have a "couples" related theme.

Until next time....

Much love,

Miss Make It Happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment