Monday 1 February 2016

I've just lost my right arm

At about 10:30am on Thursday 28th January 2016 - It felt like my right arm had been ripped from its socket.

I was updating apps on my Macbook Air and I wasn't concentrating. I clicked 'upgrade' on the new El Captain system upgrade. Then I agreed to the T&Cs and then I realised what i'd just done.

*Deep Breath*

Firstly, no, I hadn't backed up. The upgrade was an accident.

Secondly, I thought it'll be ok, the update is happening fast and there don't seem to be any problems.

Thirdly, Crap.

At 80% complete, the laptop (which is under a year old) frozen for about an hour before completely dying on me. There was no lights, no sounds, no nothing. I called Apple and we pushed buttons for 20 minutes. I then went to an Apple 3rd Party Supplier and they asked me to turn it on so they could run diagnostics - It took every ounce of my being not to scream "If i could turn it on, I wouldn't Fing be here". They offered to send it off and have a look but I decided to take it home and speak to App again.

Thanksfully, 99.9% of my work is on the cloud and apart from one client system I could access everything from my iPad. but I basically lost a days work because I was running around and on the phone all day.

This whole day got me thinking - I don't have a back up plan for digital disasters. Thankfully at 8:45pm there was a beep from my coffee table. The computer had magically restored itself and I could finally catch up properly on some work.

Do you have a digital back up? What would happen to your business if your computer just died?
Food for thought.

Much Love
Miss Make It Happen

Facebook - Twitter 


1 comment:

  1. I think about this all the time....but never actually back anything up. Terrible, I know. I can just feel the day coming on when one of my gadgets goes haywire and I wish I had listened to my gut...ugh.

    Monica
    www.strangeandpretty.com

    ReplyDelete